In the early 1970s, there were only a handful of corporate headquarters in North Texas and DFW Airport had not yet seen its first flight. In fact, in those days this sprawling assortment of communities was not even known as the Metroplex. On July 29, 1971, a group of civic leaders from across North Texas joined together to form the North Texas Commission (NTC), an agreement which would change the course of history in our region.
With DFW Airport under construction, it was agreed that a regionally-unifying force was necessary if North Texas was ever to take its place among the nationally and internationally prominent regions of the world. Founders of the North Texas Commission shared what was then a unique vision of a regional marketing organization for the entire North Texas area. C.A. Tatum, Jr., the first volunteer leader of NTC, often remarked, “Our strength is the spirit and unity of the people of our region.”
The North Texas Commission was chartered as a non-profit, membership-supported organization which would work to unify the North Texas Region to maximize the visibility of the area as an excellent place to live and do business. In February of 1972, NTC copyrighted the term “Southwest Metroplex,” which users later shortened to simply “Metroplex,” in order to establish the identity of the allied communities of North Texas.
Throughout its history, the North Texas Commission has worked to address regional problems and opportunities while focusing on ways to unify the North Texas region. As we move further into the new and challenging century, the North Texas Commission continues to improve the lives of North Texans by marketing, advocating and collaborating.
Timeline of Accomplishments
- Launched the North Texas Advocacy Coalition, a non-partisan initiative to strengthen and amplify the business voice in Austin.
- Launched Leadership North Texas University Class 3.
- Chris Wallace selected as new President & CEO of the North Texas Commission
- 46th Annual Members’ Luncheon with Sean Donohue, CEO of DFW International Airport
- Leadership North Texas Class 8 graduates, Class 9 launches
- Held the second program year of LNT University, the young professional leadership program with rebooted format
- Released NTX Magazine Vol. 8
- James D. Spaniolo selected as new President & CEO of the North Texas Commission
- 45th Annual Members’ Luncheon featured New York Times Best-Seller and Political Commentator, Dana Perino, as keynote speaker
- Leadership North Texas Class 7 Graduated, Class 8 chosen
- Released NTX Magazines Vol. 6 and 7
- Celebrated DFW Airport’s 40th Anniversary during the 43rd Annual Members’ Luncheon with National Geographic President and CEO, Gary Knell, as the keynote
- Represented North Texas during the launch festivities in Edmonton celebrating daily, direct flights on American Airlines
- Launched NTX Magazine Vol. 3, the Innovation issue
- Hosted a sold-out 2014 North Texas Water Summit with Hon. Joe Straus delivering the keynote address
- Launched Project North Texas, a summer-long program that brought together the region’s stakeholders for opportunities and challenges
- Launched Leadership North Texas Class 5
- Supported American Airlines through Chapter 11 restructuring with the grassroots effort, American Keeps North Texas Flying
- In partnership with DFW Airport, the Dallas Regional Chamber and Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce hosted government officials and business organization from the United Arab Emirates
- Launched Leadership North Texas Class 4 with 30 participants
- The 41st Annual Members Luncheon hosted Heather “Lucky” Penney, a former pilot who on 9/11 took to the skies with no weapons intending to defend our country
- Launched first issue of NTX Magazine to market the region internationally and domestically
- Co-hosted the local PiYi Conference which brought 50 high net-worth Chinese investors to North Texas
- Hosted by DFW Airport and facilitated by the NTC, a delegation of 23 North Texas business and tourism leaders traveled to Australia to market the opportunities created by Qantas Airlines’ new direct air service between DFW Airport and Brisbane/Sydney, Australia
- The NTC honored 40 regional superheroes who had a major role in shaping North Texas at its 40th Annual Members’ Luncheon
- The NTC hosted the first ever Water: Regional Resource Summit to examine the region’s plan for long-range water supply
- Class 3 of Leadership North Texas launched with 29 leaders
- Hired Mabrie Jackson as president and CEO, marking the eighth leader of the NTC and first female president
- Welcomed 2nd class of Leadership North Texas
- Launched Leadership North Texas with an inaugural class of 28 regional leaders
- Held 38th Annual Membership Luncheon at Cowboys Stadium with a crowd of more than 1,000
- TEAM Award presented to State Senator John Corona, State Representative Vicki Truitt, City of Fort Worth Councilmember Jungus Jordan and City of Dallas Councilmember Linda Koop
- NTC participated in the 2014 Final Four Bid Committee
- TEAM Award presented to Oscar Trevino, City of North Richland Hills
- NTC Launches the new Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex America’s Global Logistics Center Brochure.
- NTC assists in bringing Super Bowl 2011 to North Texas.
- NTC Celebrated its 35th Anniversary.
- NTC launches 5th Edition North Texas Aviation directory.
- TEAM Award presented to Charles Emery, Denton County Transportation Authority
- NTC assisted DFW Airport in opening of the new Skylink people mover.
- NTC assisted in the opening of DFW Airport’s new International Terminal D.
- TEAM Award presented to Steve McCullough, City of Irving
- DFW International Airport celebrates 30th Anniversary at the NTC Annual Membership Luncheon.
- Regional Champion Award presented to Tarrant County Judge Tom Vandergriff
- TEAM Award presented to Michael Morris, North Central Texas Council of Governments
- The first North Texas Commission Regional Champion Award was presented to Bob Bolen.
- The North Texas Tollway Authority, NTC and DFW International Airport launched an interoperable “toll tag” for parking and access to DFW Airport.
- TEAM Award presented to Linda Harper-Brown and Dallas Regional Mobility Coalition
- The launch of the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) between downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth. In 1983, NTC facilitated an agreement between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth to purchase the Rock Island Railroad right-of-way which led to the 19-year development of the TRE.
- TEAM Award presented to Florence Shapiro and the North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA)
- Launched new 501(c)(3) North Texas Future Fund to focus on region’s long-term development.
- TEAM Award presented to Ron Harris, Collin County Judge The Fort Worth “T” Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- Receives $900,000 federal grant to conduct air quality information campaign with the North Texas Clean Air Coalition.
- Played key role in the formation of the University of North Texas Logistics Center for Learning and Research.
- TEAM Award presented to David M. Laney, Texas Transportation Commission
- NTC launches TEAM Award at annual Texas Transportation Summit for Excellence in Mobility. Awarded to Lee Jackson, Dallas County Judge.
- NTC publishes D/FW Metroplex: Region of Choice marketing brochure.
- Named model business-to-business mentoring program by the U.S. Department of the Treasury BusinessLINC coalition.
- NTC forms North Texas Science and Technology Coalition to promote technology industry and develop high tech workforce in the region.
- NTC launches marketing effort of the D/FW Metroplex high tech industry with publication of Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex: Where Computers, Communications and Commerce Converge.
- NTC launches website, www.ntc-dfw.org.
- NTC assists in formation of North Texas Tollway Authority.
- NTC hosts the first North Texas Leaders Forum for the graduates of area leadership programs.
- NTC assists DFW in securing new international air routes to Canada, Mexico and South America.
- NTC and “Partners in Mobility” holds first Regional Transportation Summit.
- NTC launches study and promotion of region’s information/communications industry.
- NTC assists in the formation of an Area Emission Reduction Credit Organization.
- NTC assists DFW Airport in securing new Canadian air routes.
- NTC assumes leadership role in the formation and funding of “Dallas/Fort Worth Area Partners in Mobility.” Partners present a coordinated surface transportation funding plan to the Texas Transportation Commission.
- Commission signs federal “Clean Cities” agreement with North Central Texas Council of Governments.
- NTC hosts a region-wide rally to locate new Texas Motor Speedway in the Metroplex.
- NTC targets region’s logistics industry for major study and promotional campaign.
- NTC is named regional center for U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Services Immigrant Investor Pilot Program to generate foreign investment capital and jobs.
- NTC assumes leadership role in formation and activities of the North Texas Clean Air Coalition.
- Mentor-Entrepreneur Program is launched to assist small business development in the Metroplex.
- The Dallas/Fort Worth Regional Film Commission takes office space at the NTC.
- NTC targets North Texas aviation industry for world-wide promotion.
- “Campaign: North Texas” project promotes region to world through business leaders.
- NTC plays major role in the selection of Waxahachie as site of the Superconducting Super Collider.
- NTC begins partnership with InterLink for regional quality workforce planning.
- NTC assists DFW International Airport in gaining approvals to build new east side runway.
- NTC leads in formation and funding of D/FW International Trade Resource Center.
- NTC assists Perot Group with feasibility study for Alliance Airport.
- NTC accepts assignment to promote and help develop Metroplex high-tech resources.
- NTC leads North Texas support of successful “Water for Texas’ Future” campaign.
- Assists the City of Fort Worth in establishing the Fort Worth Transportation Authority (The T).
- NTC supports referendum which created Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART).
- NTC works with DFW Airport to get permission to proceed with Foreign Trade Zone 39.
- DFW International Airport is designated as official Fish & Wildlife Port of Entry.
- First Far East air route is inaugurated to Tokyo.
- U.S. Customs District Office opens in D/FW.
- First DFW trans-Atlantic air route to London.
- National “Right Attitude” advertising campaign.
- Sankyo Electric is first major Japanese firm to establish an American subsidiary in D/FW.
- Dallas/Fort Worth Regional Airport opens.
- NTC’s first corporate relocation success story – Associates Corporation of North America.
- NTC hosts dedication events for opening of DFW Regional Airport.
- Files applications for domestic air routes with Federal Aviation Administration during regulation.
- First North Texas Regional Economic Study.
- Four foreign airlines open offices in the Metroplex.
- NTC coins and copyrights the term “Metroplex.”
- Places national ads, “An airport as big as Manhattan,” in 21 publications with 100 million impressions.
- Conducts first Metroplex Economic Promotional Tour to Chicago, New York and Europe.
- NTC is chartered as a Texas non-profit corporation to market DFW Airport and the region.